Sunday, March 15, 2009

My First Transmitter Multi Elmac AF 67


Ham radio was a hobby which is now almost gone. The crux of the hobby was to sit and talk with someone, across town , down the state or across the world, via radio waves.
Multi Elmac was a company that made electronic stuff in the 50's. The were big manufacturers of garage door radio transmitters and receivers. The unit went in the trunk and had a few tubes that would transmit about 100 ft if you were lucky.
Lots of hams had other transmitters that were made by companies like EICO, Heathkit, EF Johnson actually made a kit form of their famous Viking line of transmitters. Then there were the really high priced units that rich guys had, brands like Collins and Hammerlund.
I had a Multi Elmac AF67. I got it used for 25 bucks, and made a power supply for it from old TV power supply transformer parts. 600 volts DC at about 125 milliamps, equated to about 65-70 watts of power......
The unit was a universal unit which also could be mounted in a vehicle. Image the angst my mother had when I tried to mount that thing in our family station wagon?
The antenna looked like a 8 ft broom stick attached to the bumper.
Thanks Mom, she did, I probably wouldn't have allowed my son to do that, but then again I never had any kids......maybe a good thing.
Anyway, the transmitter used tubes, about 10 of them. It also had a VFO, that allow you to dial in any transmit frequency you wanted to use.
Now a days the whole unit, transmitter and receiver, no tubes is the size of a cigar box........
You do remember cigar boxes don't' you?

1 comment:

  1. Red Dot & Prince Edward.. those were the boxes I got from Dad. Still have 1 R/D panatela box; when I wanna commune with Dad, I hold that old box. My first xmtr was built on a tapered-side bread pan - I thought it was very cool, as you could "easily view the meter with no parallax", and as the sports-car magazines used to say "the controls fell readily to hand". It was a 6AG7 and a 5Y3, with a coil, wound from the scavenged wire from a discarded transformer, found in the neigbor's trash (do you have any idea how long it takes to unwind a transformer WITHOUT taking the laminations apart?) Mom gave me hell when she discovered what happened to her bread pan.

    tom - W0EAJ

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
From TV News to owning radio communications business, seen technology grow and change the way we live. Hobbies are still some photography and reading, satellite pickup. Did catering and cooking at wineries, taught cooking classes and culinary related ventures. Do a few regional cooking classes down here at my house from time to time, in between visiting and living in this beautiful country. Some tech consulting and lots of opinionated chatter.